Sunday, March 29, 2009

9.2

I meant to run 9 miles today, but I used the USATF website to plot my path and then veered a little and ended up running 9.2 instead. The longest distance I've run up to now without stopping is 7 miles. I had an 8 mile long day last week, but I had to break it up into two 4's because of a time thing. So today I plotted a course along the Long Beach bike path and took off. It was a good run. I wasn't exactly looking forward to it because, honestly, I never, ever saw myself wanting to run these distances (or more) in the past, but I genuinely enjoyed this run. I kept saying to myself, "it's a strange thing to want to run this far," but I never wanted to quit. In fact I thought, "yeah, I could run a half no problem." I wouldn't put in a great time, mind you. But I could do it. I'll run two or three this year and then go for my first marathon in 2010. I'll post my lame ass times for today's run just for shits and giggles so you all can see how slow I am. Since I don't have a Garmin, just a Timex Ironman watch, I had to keep my eye out for my mile marker checkpoints and as a result, I got a little confused during mile 5 and 6 so the times for those two miles are unknowable. I know, I know. Time to get serious and upgrade. Or maybe I'll just claim to be a purist who isn't interested in times...just the experience.

Mile 1: 9:21
Mile 2: 8:51
Mile 3: 9:16
Mile 4: 10:02
Mile 5 and 6: N/A
Mile 7: 13:19
Mile 8: 10:24
Mile 9: 11:08 (this is 1 mile plus .20)

During mile 7 I slowed down to eat 3 Clif Bar Shot Bloks and go the restroom. This was also one of those weird, anomalous times when the wind is at your back going one way and miraculously at your back going the other. Gotta love that. At first I thought my trip back was going to be hell, but I lucked out I guess. Anyway, next week is the Seal Beach 10k and I'm hoping to come in around 51 or 52 since my only other 10k time was 54 and change and 2 to 3 minutes is a lot to shave off. We'll see. I'm also looking forward to meeting one of my fellow bloggers Billy (of LA Runner fame). Anyway, gotta drink some wine now to reward myself. I hear it's good for the heart. Gulp.

On the Kristen front, her foot is doing better, but she still can't pound the pavement yet. On top of that she's studying for her next architecture exam. Not many people know this, but to become a licensed architect you have to take 9 separate exams and quite frankly, each one is like taking the BAR exam. Sort of. So think about it. To become an architect you would have to take the BAR exam 9 times. There's a passing rate of about 45%, too. Needless to say, she's going a little nuts right now. BTW, being a licensed architect really only means that people can sue you. Awesome.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mike and Kristen! Nice seeing you guys on Friday it was a lot of fun. Mike thanks for the kind Dr. Laura words.

    ReplyDelete